Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Acute lipodermatosclerosis
- Hypodermitis sclerodermaformis
- Sclerosing panniculitis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
panniculitis that affects the legs. It is characterized by inflammation of the layer of fat under the skin. Signs and symptoms include pain, hardening of skin, change in skin color (redness), swelling, and a tapering of the legs above the ankles. The condition often occurs in people who have venous insufficiency.Lipodermatosclerosis is a form of
Last updated: 4/24/2013
- Bruce AJ. et al. Lipodermatosclerosis: Review of cases evaluated at Mayo Clinic. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;
- Ginsburg PM, Ehrenpreis ED. NORD Guide to Rare Disorders. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003;
- Duffill M. Lipodermatosclerosis. DermNet. June 2011; http://www.dermnetnz.org/vascular/lipodermatosclerosis.html. Accessed 7/21/2011.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- The NYU Langone Medical Center Web site has a information page on chronic venous insufficiency. Click on the link to view the page.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Lipodermatosclerosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Worley CA. “It hurts when I walk:” Venous stasis disease – Differential Diagnosis and Treatment. Dermatol Nurs. 2006;18(6): 582-583. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/551358. Accessed February 15, 2008. You may have to register to view the article, but registration is free.
- Worley CA. “It hurts when I walk:” Venous stasis disease – Etiology and Assessment. Dermatol Nurs. 2006;18(6):480-481. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/548009. Accessed February 15, 2008. You may have to register to view the article, but registration is free.
- Phelps RG, Shoji T.Update on Panniculitis. The Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine. 2001; 68(4):262–267. http://www.cgdms.org/msjournal/68/6845262.shtml Accessed February 13, 2008.