Human T-cell leukemia virus type 1
Other Names for this Disease
- Human T lymphotropic virus type 1
Your QuestionIs there treatment or a cure for HAM/TSP or for HTLV-1 in general?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
- What is HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP)?
- What are the signs and symptoms of HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis?
- How might HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP) be treated?
- Is there research being conducted on possible treatment options for human T-cell lymphotrophic virus associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP)?
- How can I locate articles published on the treatment of HTLV-1 associated /tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP)?
- Progressive weakness
- Stiff muscles
- Muscle spasms
- A 'weak' bladder
Rarely HAM/TSP may cause:
If you are interested in enrolling in a clinical trial, you can find helpful general information on clinical trials by clicking here.
A tutorial about clinical trials that can also help answer your questions can be found at the following link from the National Library of Medicine:
Resources on many charitable or special-fare flights to research and treatment sites and low-cost hospitality accommodations for outpatients and family members, as well as ambulance services, are listed on the Web site of the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD), part of the National Institutes of Health.
You can find relevant journal articles on treatment of HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP) through a service called PubMed, a searchable database of medical literature. Some articles are available as a complete document, while information on other studies is available as a summary abstract. To obtain the full article, contact a medical/university library (or your local library for interlibrary loan), or order it online using the following link. Using "HTLV-1 associated myelopathy OR tropical spastic paraparesis AND treatment" as your search term should locate articles. To narrow your search, click on the “Limits” tab under the search box and specify your criteria for locating more relevant articles. Click here to view a search.
- Tropical Spastic Paraparesis/HTLV-1–Associated Myelopathy. The Merck Manuals: Online Medical Library. August 2007; http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch093/ch093j.html. Accessed 3/17/2008.
- Tropical Spastic Paraparesis. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. May 9, 2007; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tropical_spastic_paraparesis/tropical_spastic_paraparesis.htm. Accessed 3/17/2008.
- Szczypinska EM, Wallace MR, Wainscoat B, Salas C, Rich JD. Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Viruses. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/219285-overview. Accessed 11/12/2010.
- General Information--HTLV. Health Protection Agency. 2010; http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/hiv_and_sti/HTLV/general.htm. Accessed 11/12/2010.