Print friendly version
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Chronic othostatic intolerance
- Postural tachycardia syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
orthostatic intolerance (OI) as their primary symptom (when an excessively reduced volume of blood returns to the heart after an individual stands up from a lying down position). In POTS, OI causes lightheadedness or fainting, and there is also a rapid increase in heartbeat. Anyone can develop POTS at any age, but the majority of individuals affected are women between the ages of 15 and 50. Episodes often begin after a pregnancy, major surgery, trauma, or a viral illness and may increase right before a menstrual period. The exact cause is currently unclear. The symptoms of POTS are typically relieved by lying down again. Therapies are targeted at relieving low blood volume or regulating circulatory problems that could be causing the disorder.Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is one of a group of disorders that have
Last updated: 5/3/2011
- NINDS Postural Tachycardia Syndrome Information Page. NINDS. March 12, 2009; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/postural_tachycardia_syndrome/postural_tachycardia_syndrome.htm. Accessed 5/3/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.