Other Names for this Disease
- Eosinophilic enteritis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Eosinophilic gastritis
- Eosinophilic gastroenteritis
- Eosinophilic gastroenteropathy
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
eosinophil to build up in the gastrointestinal system and in the blood. Eosinophils play a role in the body’s immune response by releasing toxins. Eosinophils are associated with allergic-type reactions, but their specific function is largely unknown.When eosinophils build up in the gastrointestinal tract, this begins to affect the body by causing polyps, tissue break down, inflammation, and ulcers. Eosinophilic enteropathy can occur in children or adults and is characterized by intolerance to some foods. Eosinophilic enteropathy can affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract, and is often named by the part affected: colon (colitis), esophagus (esophagitis), stomach (gastritis), or both the stomach and small intestine (gastroenteritis).Eosinophilic enteropathy is a condition that causes a type of white blood cell called an
Last updated: 2/25/2011
- Fleischer D & Atkins D. Evaluation of the patient with suspected eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2009; 29(1):53-63, ix. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19141341. Accessed 2/25/2011.
- Learn more about Eosinophilic Disorders. American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders. April 1, 2006; http://www.apfed.org/egid.htm. Accessed 2/25/2011.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Eosinophilic enteropathy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.