Print friendly version
Sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive
Other Names for this Disease
- Pyridoxine refractory sideroblastic anemia
- Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
hemoglobin, despite adequate or increased amounts of iron. Abnormal red blood cells called sideroblasts are found in the blood of people with this anemia. It is caused by mutations in the SLC25A38 gene. It is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. Unlike other forms of sideroblastic anemia, this form is not responsive to vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).Sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive is an inherited blood disorder that is characterized by an impaired ability of the bone marrow to produce normal red blood cells. The iron inside red blood cells is inadequately used to make
Last updated: 10/26/2011
- Escott-Stump S. Nutrition and Diagnosis-Related Care. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007;
- Anemia, sideroblastic, pyridoxine-refractory, autosomal recessive. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man. 2009; http://omim.org/entry/205950. Accessed 10/26/2011.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) can provide information on this topic. You can reach them by calling 301-592-8573 or by E-mail at email@example.com
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Sideroblastic anemia pyridoxine-refractory autosomal recessive. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.