Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

West syndrome

Other Names for this Disease
  • Infantile spasm
  • IS
  • Tonic spasms with clustering, arrest of psychomotor development and hypsarrhythmia on EEG
  • West's syndrome
  • X-linked infantile spasm syndrome
More Names
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

My son, who will be 13 years old in July, has West syndrome.  I would like to find a doctor in my area who specializes in this condition.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

How can I locate specialists in my area to treat West syndrome?

A neurologist has the special training and experience to treat individuals with West syndrome.  The National Association of Epilepsy Centers has set forth criteria for registering as an epilepsy center in the United States.  You can find an epilepsy center near you by searching their website:
Last updated: 6/6/2011

How can I find a genetics professional in my area?

Genetics clinics are a source of information for individuals and families regarding genetic conditions, treatment, inheritance, and genetic risks to other family members. More information about genetic consultations is available from Genetics Home Reference. To find a genetics clinic, we recommend that you contact your primary healthcare provider for a referral.

The following online resources can help you find a genetics professional in your community:
Last updated: 10/18/2013