Other Names for this Disease
- Gastric antral vascular ectasia
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Symptoms of watermelon stomach may include sudden, unexplained bleeding, chronic bleeding, and anemia. Other symptoms may include vomiting of blood and dark stools that contain blood. Click here to view a diagram of the stomach.Watermelon stomach is a condition in which the lining of the stomach bleeds, causing it to look like the characteristic stripes of a watermelon when viewed by endoscopy.
Last updated: 11/7/2011
- Brandt LJ. Feldman: Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 8th ed.. Philadelphia, PA : Saunders; 2006;
- Multiple Red Spots in the Antrum. Medscape Gastroenterology. 2002; http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/437024_2. Accessed 7/12/2011.
- The International Scleroderma Network has an information page on watermelon stomach because this condition is sometimes associated with a condition called diffuse systemic scleroderma. Click on The International Scleroderma Network to view the information page.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Watermelon stomach. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Merck Manual Web page has an image of watermelon stomach. Click on The Merck Manual to view the image.