Other Names for this Disease
- FADH deficiency
- FALDH deficiency
- FAO deficiency
- Fatty aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency
- Ichthyosis, spastic neurologic disorder, and oligophrenia
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
inborn error of lipid metabolism, characterized by congenital ichthyosis (dry, scaly skin), mental retardation, and spasticity (stiffness and involuntary muscle spasms). The syndrome is caused by mutations in the gene called FADH (fatty aldehyde dehydrogenase) and is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. Treatment is symptomatic.Sjogren-Larsson syndrome (SLS) is an
Last updated: 9/21/2012
- Sjogren-Larsson Syndrome. United Leukodystrophy Foundation. http://ulf.org/sjogren-larsson-syndrome. Accessed 9/21/2012.
- Rizzo WB. Sjogren-Larsson Syndrome: Molecular Genetics and Biochemical Pathogenesis of Fatty Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Deficiency. Mol Genet Metab. September 22, 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1933507/?tool=pubmed. Accessed 9/21/2012.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Sjogren-Larsson syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- DermNetNZ provides information on ichthyosis in general. DermNetNZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Sjogren-Larsson syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.