Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Poland syndrome

Other Names for this Disease
  • Poland anomaly
  • Poland sequence
  • Poland syndactyly
  • Poland's syndrome
  • Unilateral defect of pectoralis muscle and syndactyly of the hand
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

I am a 46 year old female who was born with Polands Syndrome. I was missing the upper ribs and the chest wall on my right side. As a result I am now facing multiple spinal problems and am looking for the correct treatment by the correct specialists. How do I go about finding spine specialists who have worked with this condition?

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

Where might I find doctors, including spine specialists, in my area who are familiar with Poland syndrome?

It can be difficult to identify a specialist who has experience in a particular rare condition.   For this reason, it is important to ask how familiar a person is with Poland syndrome. 

Click on the following links in order to search directories for spine specialists who may be familiar with Poland syndrome.  

National Directory of Spine physicians 

American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

American Association of Neurological Surgeons

Plastic surgeons are the types of doctor most commonly treating Poland syndrome, due to the need for chest reconstruction.  Therefore it may be worthwhile to search the database of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. 

Additionally, although they do not provide treatment for Poland syndrome, genetics professionals may be able to find appropriate referrals.  The following online resources can help you find a genetics professional in your community:

Last updated: 9/7/2011