Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Giant Cell Hepatitis (formerly)
- Hemochromatosis neonatal
- Idiopathic neonatal Hemochromatosis
- Neonatal hepatitis (formerly)
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Neonatal hemochromatosis is a disease in which too much iron builds up in the body. In this form of hemochromatosis the iron overload begins before birth. This disease tends to progress rapidly and is characterized by liver damage that is apparent at birth or in the first day of life.
There are a number of other forms of hemochromatosis. To learn more about these other forms click on the disease names listed below:
Last updated: 11/21/2010
- Hemochromatosis. Genetic Home Reference. 2006; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=hemochromatosis . Accessed 8/10/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Neonatal hemochromatosis. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Neonatal hemochromatosis. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Neonatal hemochromatosis. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Neonatal hemochromatosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.