Print friendly version
Heavy metal poisoning
Other Names for this Disease
- Chronic heavy metal poisoning
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Heavy metal poisoning refers to an overexposure to lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, chromium or other high density or metallic element that causes irritation or damage to the body. Heavy metals can be found naturally in the environment, in homes, or at the work place. Sudden severe exposures as well as moderate exposures over time can cause toxicity. Depending on the exposure, metals can increase cancer risk, impair production of red and white blood cells, and affect physical and mental health.
- Lab Tests Online . Heavy Metals . American Association for Clinical Chemistry . http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/heavy-metals/tab/test. Accessed February 8, 2013.
On this page
- You can find information on heavy metal poisoning by searching the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) A-Z Index list. Click on the link above to view the Web page.
- The United States Department of Labor provides information on toxic metals. Click on the link above to view the information page.
- Lab Tests Online, a Web site developed by the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, provides detailed in formation on heavy metal poisoning. Click on Lab Tests Online to view the information pages.
- The Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry offers a Toxic Substances Portal where you can learn more about risk levels and health effects of heavy metals. Click on the link above to view the portal.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Heavy metal poisoning. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.