Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.


Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version


Other Names for this Disease
  • Mitchell disease (formerly)
  • Primary erythermalgia
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Your Question

How do doctors test for erythromelalgia? I have flare ups on my hands, feet, and face.

Our Answer

We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.

How is erythromelalgia diagnosed?

Erythromelalgia can be diagnosed through a clinical exam and medical history.[1] Additional tests may include a skin biopsy and thermography to evaluate skin temperature.[2] Blood tests or other studies may be done to rule out other conditions that can cause similar symptoms.[2]

There is not a specific type of doctor that always diagnoses and treats erythromelalgia. A variety of specialists (alone or in combination) may be involved in the diagnosis and treatment of this condition. These may include vascular specialists, hematologists, dermatologists, neurologists, rheumatologists, and other types of physicians. The type of specialist that is appropriate may depend on the underlying cause when secondary erythromelalgia is present. Since erythromelalgia is a rare disease, many doctors are not familiar with the condition. The Erythromelalgia Association offers resources and support for individuals looking for more information about the diagnosis of the condition.
Last updated: 12/11/2013