Print friendly version
Cyclic vomiting syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Familial cyclic vomiting syndrome (subtype)
nausea and vomiting interspersed with symptom free periods. The cycles of severe nausea and vomiting can last for hours or even days. Each episode is similar to the previous ones. The episodes tend to start at about the same time of day, last the same length of time, and present the same symptoms at the same level of intensity. Although cyclic vomiting syndrome can begin at any age in children and adults, it usually starts between the ages of 3 and 7. Although the underlying cause of cyclic vomiting syndrome is not known, some cases appear to be to be linked to migraines. Treatment with migraine medications often helps.Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) is a disorder with recurrent episodes of severe
Last updated: 12/19/2013
- Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in Adults. International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD). October 10, 2013; http://www.aboutgimotility.org/site/about-gi-motility/disorders-of-the-stomach/cvs-in-adults. Accessed 12/19/2013.
- Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). April 23, 2012; http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm. Accessed 12/19/2013.
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. MayoClinic.com. April 19, 2013; http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/DS00835/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print. Accessed 12/19/2013.
- The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders provides information about cyclic vomiting syndrome. To learn more about cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults, click on the above link.
- The Mayo Foundation for Education and Research provides information about cyclic vomiting syndrome. Click on the above link to access information about this condition.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC), part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), offers information on this condition. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Headache Foundation provides information about cyclic vomiting syndrome. Click on the above link to read more about cyclic vomiting syndrome.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Cyclic vomiting syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.