Churg Strauss syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Allergic angiitis and granulomatosis
- Allergic granulomatosis
- Allergic granulomatous and angiitis
- Churg-Strauss vasculitis
vasculitis). The inflamed vessels can affect various organ systems including the lungs, gastrointestinal tract, skin, heart and nervous system. The cause of Churg Strauss syndrome is unknown. While there is no cure, the condition can be successfully managed with early diagnosis and treatment.Churg Strauss syndrome is a rare autoimmune condition characterized by asthma, high levels of eosinophils (a type of white blood cell that helps fight infection) in the blood and tissues, and inflammation of small to medium sized blood vessels (
Last updated: 4/4/2011
- Book W. Information About Chirg Strauss Syndrome. American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders. 2005; http://www.apfed.org/css.htm. Accessed 4/4/2011.
- What is Churg Strauss Syndrome?. Churg Strauss Syndrome Association. 2006; http://www.cssassociation.org/faq.asp. Accessed 4/4/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Churg Strauss syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Read a "What is Churg Strauss syndrome? factsheet by the Churg Strauss Syndrome Association.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Churg Strauss syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.