Other Names for this Disease
- Alport syndrome, X-linked
- Congenital hereditary hematuria
- Hemorrhagic familial nephritis
- Hemorrhagic hereditary nephritis
Related DiseasesMore Related Diseases
On this page
Type IV collagen is also an important component of the organ of Corti, an inner ear structure that transforms sound waves into nerve impulses for the brain. Alterations in type IV collagen may result in abnormal inner ear function, which can lead to hearing loss. In addition, type IV collagen plays a role in the eye, where it helps maintain the shape of the lens and the normal color of the retina. Mutations found in Alport syndrome may affect the shape of the lenses and the color of the retina.
- Alport syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. April 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/alport-syndrome. Accessed 10/24/2011.