Other Names for this Disease
- Alpers diffuse degeneration of cerebral gray matter with hepatic cirrhosis
- Alpers disease
- Alpers progressive infantile poliodystrophy
- Alpers-Huttenlocher syndrome
- Diffuse cerebral degeneration in infancy
Your QuestionMy nephew has just been diagnosed with Alpers syndrome. The family is devastated. Is there a treatment or cure?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
A multi-disciplinary medical team of a gastroenterologist, neurologist, occupational, physical and/or speech therapist can assist with management of symptoms to maintain function as long as possible, insure comfort and promote the best possible quality-of-life. 
The following organizations provide support for individuals caring for patients with conditions such as Alpers syndrome.
- NORD. Alpers Disease. NORD: National Organization for Rare Disease. 2007; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Alpers%20Disease. Accessed 1/20/2011.
- Cohen B, Chinnery P, Copeland W. POLG-Related Disorders. GeneReviews. March 16, 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26471/. Accessed 1/20/2011.
- Naviaux R K. Alpers syndrome. Orphanet. July 2006; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=726. Accessed 1/20/2011.