Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.

Diseases

Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

21-hydroxylase deficiency


Other Names for this Disease

  • 21 hydroxylase deficiency
  • Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency
  • CYP21 deficiency
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Inheritance

Newline Maker

How is 21-hydroxylase-deficient congenital adrenal hyperplasia passed through families?

21-hydroxylase-deficient congenital adrenal hyperplasia has an autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance. In autosomal recessive conditions, both parents carry one copy of a mutated gene for the disorder. They have a 25 percent chance with each pregnancy of having a child affected by the disorder. The chance with each pregnancy of having an unaffected child who is a carrier of the disorder is 50 percent, and the chance that a child will not have the disorder and will not be a carrier is 25 percent. See the illustration below.[1]

                                            In this example, two unaffected parents each carry one copy of a gene mutation for an autosomal recessive disorder.  They have one affected child and three unaffected children, two of which carry one copy of the gene mutation.
Last updated: 7/25/2013

References
  1. If a genetic disorder runs in my family, what are the chances that my children will have the condition?. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/inheritance/riskassessment. Accessed 4/4/2008.


Other Names for this Disease
  • 21 hydroxylase deficiency
  • Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency
  • CYP21 deficiency
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.