Print friendly version
Vein of Galen aneurysm
Other Names for this Disease
- Ectasia or varix of the vein of Galen
- Galen vein aneurysm
- Galenic arteriovenous malformation
- Vein of Galen aneurysm malformation
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
arteriovenous malformation in which a particular vein at the base of the brain, the vein of Galen, dilates causing too much blood to rush to the heart and leading to congestive heart failure. Sometimes the defect will be recognized on an ultrasound before birth, but most often it is seen in infants who experience rapid heart failure. In less severe cases, a child may develop hydrocephalus because the enlarged malformation blocks the normal flow or absorption of cerebrospinal fluid. Although the exact cause remains unknown, this condition appears to be a result of a defect in early fetal development.Vein of Galen aneurysm is a rare form of
Last updated: 9/15/2011
- Lasjaunias P & Alvarez H. Vein of Galen aneurysm. Orphanet. March 2007; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?Expert=1053&lng=EN. Accessed 9/15/2011.
- Vascular Malformations of the Brain. Children's Hospital Boston. http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/Site2162/mainpageS2162P16.html. Accessed 9/15/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Vein of Galen aneurysm. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
On this page
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Vein of Galen aneurysm. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.