Becker nevus syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Hairy epidermal nevus syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Becker nevus in association with underdevelopment (hypoplasia) of the breast or other skin-related, muscular, or skeletal defects, all of which usually involve the same side of the body as the nevus (ipsilateral). Specific signs and symptoms in addition to the nevus may include ipsilateral breast hypoplasia; skeletal abnormalities such as hypoplasia of the shoulder girdle, scoliosis, fused ribs, and ipsilateral shortness of the arm; and several other features. The condition is thought to be sporadic (occurring in individuals with no history of the condition in the family). Treatment varies depending upon the specific symptoms present and the extent of the condition in the affected individual.Becker nevus syndrome is characterized by the presence of a
Last updated: 4/25/2012
- Wilson H. Y. Lo. Becker Nevus Syndrome. OMIM. May 4, 2000; http://omim.org/entry/604919. Accessed 4/23/2012.
- Epidermal Nevus Syndromes. NORD. June 20, 2011; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/862/viewAbstract. Accessed 4/23/2012.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Becker nevus syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.