Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- HDR syndrome
- Hypoparathyroidism, sensorineural deafness, and renal dysplasia
- Nephrosis, nerve deafness, and hypoparathyroidism
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
hypoparathyroidism, sensorineural hearing loss, and renal (kidney) disease. Most cases have been attributed to a mutation on chromosome 10p which affects the GATA3 gene. Inheritance is likely autosomal dominant. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.Barakat syndrome is an inherited condition characterized by
Last updated: 1/4/2012
- AJ Barakat. Hypoparathyroidism - deafness - renal disease. Orphanet. September 2008; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=2237. Accessed 1/4/2012.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Barakat syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Barakat syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.