Other Names for this Disease
- Copper transport disease
- Kinky hair disease
- Menkea syndrome
- Menkes syndrome
- Steely hair disease
What is the prognosis for individuals with Menkes disease?
If administered within the first few months of life, copper histidinate appears to be effective in increasing the life expectancy of some patients. However, this treatment only increases life expectancy from three to thirteen years of age, so can only be considered a palliative therapy.
- Menkes syndrome. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). March 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/menkes-syndrome. Accessed 3/8/2011.
- NINDS Menkes Disease Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). 2009; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/menkes/menkes.htm. Accessed 3/8/2011.
- Kaler SG. Genetics of Menkes Kinky Hair Disease. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/946985-overview. Accessed 3/8/2011.
- Kaler SG. ATP7A-Related Copper Transport Disorders. GeneReviews. 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1413/. Accessed 3/8/2011.
- Menkes syndrome. National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22216/. Accessed 3/8/2011.