* Not a rare disease
Related DiseasesMore Related Diseases
Hemochromatosis may be acquired or hereditary. Hereditary hemochromatosis is classified by type depending on the age of onset and other factors such as genetic cause and mode of inheritance. To learn more about the specific types of hereditary hemochromatosis click on the disease names below:Neonatal hemochromatosis
- Hemochromatosis. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). February 2011; http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hemo/hemo_whatis.html. Accessed 8/10/2011.
- Hemochromatosis. Genetics Home Reference. October 2006; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/hemochromatosis. Accessed 8/10/2011.
- You can obtain information on this topic from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC is recognized as the lead federal agency for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Hemochromatosis. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Human Genome Research Institute's (NHGRI) mission encompasses a broad range of studies aimed at understanding the structure and function of the human genome and its role in health and disease. Click on the link to view the information page on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Hemochromatosis. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hemochromatosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.