* Not a rare disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Paralysis agitans
- Parkinson's disease
- Primary parkinsonism
- Shaking palsy
Your QuestionAre there any diseases that have similar symptoms to Parkinson disease?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
- Postencephalitic parkinsonism
- Drug-induced parkinsonism
- Toxin-induced parkinsonism
- Arteriosclerotic parkinsonism
- Parkinsonism-dementia complex of Guam
- Post-traumatic parkinsonism
- Essential tremor
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Progressive supranuclear palsy
- Corticobasal degeneration
- Multiple system atrophy
- Dementia with Lewy bodies
More information on each of these conditions is available in the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) publication, Parkinson's Disease: Hope Through Research.
Parkinsonian symptoms may also appear in patients with other, clearly distinct neurological disorders such as Wilson disease, Huntington disease, Alzheimer disease, spinocerebellar ataxias, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Each of these disorders has specific features that help to distinguish them from Parkinson disease.
- Parkinson's Disease: Hope Through Research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. September 30, 2011; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/detail_parkinsons_disease.htm#127443159. Accessed 10/2/2011.