Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Pierre Robin syndrome with congenital heart malformation and clubfoot
- Talipes equinovarus, atrial septal defect, robin sequence, and persistence of left superior vena cava
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
clubfoot deformity (talipes equinovarus) and congenital heart defects involving failure of the upper heart chambers to close (atrial septal defect). The Robin sequence (also known as Pierre Robin’s sequence) is characterized by a small lower jaw at birth that prevents proper feeding of the infant, followed by a retracted or displaced tongue. A high-arched, cleft soft palate is also commonly seen. Affected individuals also have persistent left superior vena cava. TARP syndrome has been reported to cause death before birth or soon after birth. This condition is caused by mutations in the RBM10 gene and is inherited in an X-linked recessive fashion.TARP syndrome is a rare condition affecting males that causes several birth defects. TARP stands for Talipes equinovarus, Atrial septal defect, Robin sequence, and Persistent left superior vena cava. Those with TARP syndrome have
Last updated: 5/6/2011
- Campbell, RM. Femoral Hypoplasia-Unusual Facies Syndrome, NORD Guide to Rare Disorders. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003;
- Johnston JJ, Teer JK, Cherukuri PF, Hansen NF, Loftus SK; NIH Intramural Sequencing Center (NISC), Chong K, Mullikin JC, Biesecker LG. Massively parallel sequencing of exons on the X chromosome identifies RBM10 as the gene that causes a syndromic form of cleft palate. Am J Hum Genet. 2010; 86(5):743-748. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20451169. Accessed 5/6/2011.
On this page
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss TARP syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss TARP syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.