Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.

Diseases

Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Usher syndrome, type 1F


Other Names for this Disease

  • USH1F
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Inheritance

Newline Maker

How is Usher syndrome inherited?

Usher syndrome is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner.[1] This means that a person must have a change (mutation) in both copies of the disease-causing gene in each cell to have Usher syndrome. One mutated copy is typically inherited from each parent, who are each referred to as a carrier. Carriers of an autosomal recessive condition usually do not have any signs or symptoms.

When two carriers of an autosomal recessive condition have children, each child has a 25% (1 in 4) chance to have the condition, a 50% (1 in 2) chance to be an unaffected carrier like each parent, and a 25% chance to not be a carrier and not be affected.
Last updated: 3/4/2014

References
  1. Usher syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. February, 2007; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/usher-syndrome. Accessed 3/3/2014.


Other Names for this Disease
  • USH1F
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.